Thursday, December 6, 2007

Snowball Snow

Today it snowed again. Big, fluffy snowflake snow. Snowman snow, but there isn't enough of it to build a whole snowman yet. The streets are not plowed.

On the way from one bulding to another I ran across this gentleman. What a fabulous outfit. He is wearing traditional clothing for the mountain area. I don't know that I have ever seen someone dressed as he is in town. In the villages, yes, but never in town.

It is definitely boot weather. I have new shoes still in the box and it is boot weather. The road is very icy although I have not seen an accident yet. Probably because it is still early for folks to be up and about. The little ladies at School Number Two were out early this morning. They swept the sidewalk from the street to the building before we arrived. They are so sweet. They don't speak any English but they always smile and say, "Buna Ziua," when I come in. They open the doors for me if they are still locked. They always smile.

Today I noticed that the Lions Restaurant is a mirror image of the house across the alley from it. Amazing what a little paint can do to completely change the image of a house. I understand that they are Jewish houses. Several people have pointed that out to me. It is interesting that once you know what to look for, it is quite obvious. Apparently, the Jews who once lived here built single story houses, but very tall buildings. I wonder what the story is here.

No comments: