Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Ben’s cousins

It is amazing how small the world really can be. I forget who started the whole six persons removed plan, but it certainly works. Here I am, about as remote as you can get in Romania, and it seems that one of my students in America has cousins and family here. In fact, they are only on the other side of the mountain in Suceava. I finally was able to get in touch with them and we managed to meet after one of my infamous trips to Suceava for my Legitimate which I still don't have. After I had concluded my discussions with the police again, I called Anca who lives in Suceava. Her sister Alina actually met me and we met Anca at a lovely Italian restaurant in town. They had excellent desserts!! We all know how that cheers me. We talked for quite a while. I have made it my mission to help as many Romanians as I can to improve their English as my Romanian is still not conversational as yet. I can get essential directions and order from the menu, but I am not able to actually put enough words together to make a sentence.

After a delightful dessert and conversation, we went to their parents' home. They live right near the only place I know to buy really good ice cream. That is a good sign. Of course, we started with homemade blueberry wine and then another excellent wine. They own a grocery store and so dinner was excellent. Typical Romanian breads and salamis and vegetables and cheeses. Delicious. I couldn't have asked for anything better. While we were there, Anca's husband and son arrived on the scene. The little one stole the scene. He has such bright eyes – he is going to be a smart one. Her husband is a traditional dancer and has promised to invite me to watch the next time his group is dancing nearby. Anca is in school in Cluj but gets home every few weeks. They are a great group – full of life and fun. Her father is from Moldovita and has offered to take me there to see the monastery in the spring. I am looking forward to that trip.

In the meantime, I have a student in class who is the spitting image of Ben, my American student. Interestingly, my Romanian student is also named Ben. What a small world.

No comments: