Wednesday, September 5, 2007

Gura Humorului – Population about 16,000

Similar to many other European towns, Gura Humorului has a population of about 16,000. There is a centre with a park and most of the town grows out from that centre. I can see that I will be spending time on those benches feeding the pigeons. Are there pigeons in Romania? It rained much of the time I was there and so I was not able to get out and about as I might have liked to. My intention is to walk where I need to get to. It is only a kilometer from one side to the other. That should be do-able.

This is where I will be living for the next academic year. Far from Macy’s. I think it is a seven and a half hour train ride to retail establishments such as I am used to. I would suggest that now is probably a good time to divest yourself of Macy’s stock. The value may plummet between now and next June.

The large building looming in the background is the Best Western hotel. I have not been inside but it beckons… It doesn’t look like a hotel to me but it is certainly the largest building around. New construction is progressing and so maybe there is hope that Macy’s will be here after all.

The market is full of fresh fruits and vegetables. I shall be wandering through it, just taking it all in after I return to stay. There is also a regular store where I can buy staples. I saw these oranges from Egypt in the store. I did not know that oranges grew in Egypt. I think the market is where I will do much of my shopping.





Gura Humorului is Romanian for “mouth of the Humor River.” The river flows by on the eastern side of the town and the Carpathian Mountains rise up almost immediately. There is a bridge not far from house that leads to a park and the Voronet Monastery. More about that later. This is the view from the kitchen window. They are so close. Those are clouds up there on the mountain.


This family lives next door. There obviously is not an ordinance governing livestock. I find it interesting that there are so few laws regarding matters that make sense to Americans. It is a much easier place to live in that respect. I am looking forward to my year. I think it will be a year of contrasts. I will certainly learn to appreciate life in a different way. This reminds me of my college days. At one time I lived in a cabin in the woods with no running water or electricity. That year was illuminating as I am sure this one will be too.

One morning Cristina took me to school – skoala – to meet the staff and to show me around the two buildings. Afterwards, we went to lunch with the English department. There are six English teachers. We had a great time a the Lions Restaurant having a pizza. I know that American pizza is very different from Italian pizza. I wonder if Romanian pizza is yet a third variety?


I wonder how Cristina will find our little corner of America?! It will probably be as different for her as Romania will be for me.

The countryside is simply breathtaking. I can see a delightful year ahead.




















The countryside is simply breathtaking. I can see a delightful year ahead. Cristina and Dan saw me off at the train station back to Bucharest and then to Vilnius. I will have to learn to call it Bucaresti as it is in Romanian.

No comments: