Monday, May 19, 2008

Jon on a snowy afternoon

My boys love the outdoors and I thought they would be out on the mountains as much as possible while they were here. It turns out that they think I am living in Siberia. I clearly told them to bring hats and gloves and coats and boots and their snow boards. I know I said it several times. Apparently, they only heard Greece and sunny skies.

Having spent a week in Greece, the return to cold temperatures was a shock for them. It seems that they forgot their snow boards and didn't think they would really need all that snow gear. It wouldn't fit in their suitcases and, after all, they didn't need it at home and we live in snow country, so why cart it across the big pond. Of course, we have cars and trucks at home. I think not having a car and walking everywhere was a bit of a shock to them. We have spent a lot of time in the local restaurants and with hot chocolate at home, talking about all sorts of things. I actually have more stamina than they do, I think. That is certainly a big surprise for me. Hills still take it out of me, but the walking is a piece of cake anymore. I am in much better shape now than I was when I first came here. I am trying to figure out how to include serious walking in my day when I get home. Unfortunately, I live just under five miles from school which is a tad farther than I want to walk – and certainly not twice a day.

2 comments: