Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Christmas presents


I realize there is a need for security and that everyone has to abide by the same rules. Generally, I think that is a good plan. Unfortunately, sometimes the rules are impossible. I have received a few packages from the US since I have been here. The process of actually getting them is interesting. The post office is not always open even if it is supposed to be. I am not talking about a few minutes early, they don't seem to open the village post office at all in the afternoon. Packages from the States stop in Suceava and a tiny notice is sent out. I have 48 hours to arrive at the post office in Suceava to pick up the package. The customs officer is only there from 8 to noon. I have classes from 8 to at least noon on three days. The other two days I have classes until 11. I then have to walk down to the hitching corner and wait for a ride. Each car takes four passengers. I always seem to be the first passenger and so I must wait for three more people. Then we drive to Suceava which takes about 45 minutes on a good day. Then I have to get a cab to the post office as there is not enugh time to walk. I finally walk in to pick up my package. The customs officer is standing at the counter and tells me it is after noon and he can not give me the package. It is 12:08 when he says this. I ask him what I am supposed to do as I have to be in class and can not just take off a day so that I can come pick up a Christmas present. He adamantly refuses to give me the package. Finally, I tell him to send it back as I will not be able to retrieve it within his guidelines. I left, rather disgruntled.

A few weeks later, I ran into Bogdan whose house I had been living in the first semester. He had gone to the post office to pick up another package and they gave him my Christmas present. They charged him ten dollars for storage and this is what it looked like when it got to me…

No comments: