Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Onward to Bran


Soon we were headed to the most well known castle in Romania, Bran Castle or Dracula's castle. I have never lived in mountains and so I am seeing these with a fresh eye. The Carpathians form a horseshoe and are the first real barrier to Europe from Asia. As the marauding hordes of Mongols and Huns moved east, this area is the first line of defense and so many of the monasteries and castles are placed strategically to defend the rest of Europe. It has been a fierce battleground quite a few times in its history. Julius Caesar conquered the area and made it a vacation destination. Since then (and probably before) this area has been fought over for both its rich resources and its strategic defenses.

These mountains are imposing after the flatlands to the east. They rise up into rocky crags stopping travelers in their tracks. Even with modern cars and buses, this pass is not easy to negotiate. The road winds back and forth through the narrow valley.

Even before Hollywood, history was distorted. It seems that the prince of this castle was a fierce warrior and was feared for miles. He ruled through some very effective scare tactics. For those who did not follow the Prince's edicts, there was a very ugly death. The victim was impaled on a stake which was set in the ground for all to see. No one needed Hollywood then to be frightened. It seems that there was a pecking order even in this. If the victim were poor, he was impaled on a simple stake. The size of the stake indicated the crime – the thicker the stake, the bigger the crime. If you were a merchant or wealthy land-holder, you would have a copper, bronze, or maybe even a silver-tipped stake. If you were a king or of the nobility, you would have earned the right to have a golden stake.

We finally arrive in the town of Bran where we will have lunch before going to Bran Castle. We are riding in a one of those huge generic white buses that you see going down the freeway. It is really comfortable; unlike the yellow school buses we are all so used to riding in. We cannot drive the bus down the lane to the Villa and so we trudge up the path to the restaurant. It is rather a long way from the main road but it will be worth it. I am working up quite an appetite. This is a really nice resort and I am glad we have arrived. It will be nice to have another great meal. As we all arrive at the reservation area of the resort, we are asked if we want to take a car to the restaurant. I thought we were there but it seems that it is at the other end of the property. I decide to walk as walking is part of my exercise program. The path that we are to take is a nicely sloped cement walkway – until we round the building. The slope is horribly steep and the car is already gone. My definition if walking is more like strolling. Walking is not a term I would use for the ascent to the actual restaurant. Looking at the plan for the grounds it looks easy to get around on nice little white paths. It looks flat. Apparently the artist who painted this map had never heard of those circles you see on maps that indicate that the altitude is increasing. Or maybe the green is so many circles that it is a solid circle indicating that the going will be very steep. Note how steep the stairs are where there actually are stairs. In other places it is a dirt path. I managed to get to the top but I am seriously out of shape. My little heart was hammering away the last half of the trip. I really wasn't sure if I was going to make it. I thought about stopping twice. These people must be in fabulous shape as I see them tripping up and down for this and for that. I am sure that I would never have made it to adulthood if I had been born into this life. It is just more strenuous than I am even close to being used to.

I finally get to the top and it is worth every sore muscle that I will have tomorrow. The views are spectacular. Norman Rockwell couldn't do any better. There is a terrace that hangs over the valley. You can see for miles. The red roof in the foreground is the reception area for the resort. The line of houses is where we started form. It is a serious trek for those of us who are not in shape.

I had to get my picture with the castle in the background.


It is like a fairy tale world here. I can easily see the village life playing out in the shadow of the castle above. Just a peak at the castle would be enough to keep you on your toes. I can imagine the castle gates clanging open and mounted horsemen galloping through, thundering down into the valley to snatch up the fool-hardy offender and dragging him back to the castle. To the north of the restaurant, the castle sits prominently astride the mountain pass, daring anyone to attempt to pass by.

No comments: