Saturday, March 8, 2008

Christmas dinner at Polchritui's

Today was one of the most difficult days so far. It is very odd to be so far away from everyone you know and everything you usually do at the holidays. It seems rather as if it really isn't happening, even though everyone else is getting ready for a feast and to see family and friends. This area is very family oriented and it seems that many of those who have left return for the holidays. There was much merry-making everywhere as people renew old friendships.

The chemistry teacher invited me to have Christmas dinner with her family. I am not sure se knows how wonderful it was to have a place to go to, regardless of the language barriers. It was very different from the dinners we have at home. There were so many different kinds of sausage that she had made. And beet salads. And potato salads. And cheeses. And meatballs. And sarmales. There was entirely too much of everything. I think that all Romanians have a hollow leg as they can eat and eat and eat, and then eat some more. I have never seen people consume so much food at one sitting and it happens all the time. And the food is so rich. I can't even come close. They are all sure that I am starving and will die if I don't eat more but I simply can't. It is not the cooking because I like the food, I simply cannot eat so much grease and fat. I guess I really do subscribe to the American no-fat diet. I remember when I first went to Lithuania; the food was very similar in fat content. It is simply way higher in fat than I am used to. I find myself shopping in the diet section of the shops.

But the absolute best of all was the dessert. It was heavenly. A wonderful, moist yellow cake with a rich creamy center and a sweet whipped cream for frosting with lots of fruits. Everyone knows that I live for dessert and this was the best I have had since I arrived in Romania, bar none! I am going to have to get the recipe for this one. Maybe I can trade for my pumpkin pie recipe…

No comments: