Saturday, February 23, 2008

Winter has arrived

It has snowed nearly every day now. Not a lot of snow, but just enough to keep the landscape white and the roads slippery. They have slowed down a bit and they don't pass quite as readily, but I still think they go too fast. The roads are completely ice-covered and yet drivers get right on each other's bumpers with no regard for anyone else. You walk on the roads at your own risk – and that risk is mighty high in the winter when there is no berm and it is dark so much of the time. I doubt most drivers can even see pedestrians when we are walking to the bus or waiting for it. It is interesting to see how people cope with it. THere are aplways people with umbrellas and now I see they are good for all four seasons. I even saw a gentleman riding a bicycle to town in a very nice suit, weilding his umbrella against the snowflakes as they pummeled him.

And yet, it is still a cozy little mountain town where nothing much really happens during the winter. I do make it a point to stop into my favorite restaurant in the Centru of town. They have the most delightful hot chocolate and they don't mind if you sit forever and just talk. And later in the day it is a marvelous little tavern. There is a big screen similar to an American sports bar, except there is only soccer on the screen and I have little interest in it. If it was American football, I might even watch. This is some sort of rum and brown sugar concoction. It is certainly festive.

No comments: