Saturday, February 23, 2008

Fulbright Interview

Another midnight train trip to Bucharest. Another night of flashing towns and train stations. I am getting only too familiar with this city. Two teachers from my school have applied for the Teacher Exchange Program and so we have come down on the train for the day. It is a cold day and yet full of hope for the two of them. We stop at a café for breakfast and to wait until the right time to arrive at the Commission. I have been in my share of cafes but this one was unique. There were two seating areas – one in front by the window so that we could watch people on their way to wherever they are going on an early Friday morning. A typical café. To get to the restrooms, it is necessary to walk through a car showroom. Apparently, the other café seating area doubles as the waiting room for the car salesmen. I have spent more time watching the morning commute than I might otherwise as I wait for them both to emerge from the bathroom. It is certainly necessary to wash off any night train aura they may still have.

They are both terribly nervous. They will be fine as they have both prepped for the interview. The hardest thing is really the application. It asks so many questions in just a little different way. It is long and requires much research to fill in the required blanks on the form. So many attachments but once it is done, the worst is over. Then it is the waiting. They have known about this interview for about two weeks and have asked me so many questions about it. Unfortunately, I can not help them beyond the generic response which is, of course, not what they are looking for.

Finally, they are ready to face their interviewers and we head for the Comission on foot. I actually know exactly where we are going I have made this trip so many times. We walk by the home of Ge Ge the soccer king and take their picture. It is one for posterity. I am sure that I am probably in the minority as I have no idea who this is.


It is a fine day today. Blustery and cold, but clear. The leaves have fallen and winter has definitely taken the reins from autumn. Soon the snow will be flying and it will be Christmas in this city. We walk past some of huge manses. I think they must be university and embassy housing and buildings. They are really impressive. It looks like there is a helicopter pad on top of one of them. Finally, we arrive. I take their rucksacks and introduce them. They head in, ready for bear.

I leave them for a bit and wander back to the boulevard. I have found a new toy on my camera. The path looks like a wonderful autumn day when I am done playing with the color. Check out the before and after…

Finally, we have lunch and it is over. We have hours before the train leaves and so we head to the mall. Check out the wine aisle! There are all sorts of choices. Too bad I can't carry too much on the train.


We have dinner at a quaint little Italian restaurant near Piata Romana and then head back to the Metro. It is a warren of lines going here and there. I watch as a train disgorges its passengers while others wait to squash into the cramped areas. It is a wonder that everyone gets where they are headed.

Now we are headed back to the train station for a long trip home. Another night train.

No comments: