Saturday, June 30, 2007

Fireworks on the Fourth of July

One of my neighbors is apparently having a party this evening. That is fine. They are not loud and obnoxious, although they did not invite me. They bought the house last fall and completely renovated it. I can certainly commiserate. I remember her. She was a student in one of my classes or else dated someone in one of my classes a few years ago. A nice girl - it looks like life has turned out well for her.

They are displaying some excellent fireworks. What I have seen so far would be more than adequate for any town or small city. I hesitate to think what they must have paid for them. I actually wonder if someone there works for a fireworks company. They have been going nonstop for over two hours. Not a single one is little. I am sure they must have taken out a second mortgage. These are fabulous!! There are Roman candles. Some of them change colors in the air. Some have second and third stages. Not too many boomers. They are exactly what I like. Just pretty. Some of them are a bit close to the neighbor's roof, and a few have even drifted over my roof. So far so good. My house insurance is paid up. The neighbors are away for a few days so I will keep an eye out for the dogs.

This evening reminds me of when I was little. Very little. I wasn't in school yet so I must have been four or five. My dad took us to the Mall in fromt of Independence Hall in Philadelphia with a picnic supper and a blanket. The three of us sat on the blanket for quite a while. More and more people were arriving until it was wall-to-wall blankets. The Mall is a huge expanse of grass. Lots of Revolutionary re-enactments are presented here. When I was little it was gigantic. There used to be a law in Philadelphia that no building could be taller than William Penn's hat. That kept the flavor of the early settlers in mind all the time. That law has since been rescinded and I have watched skyscrapers built right next to the historic buildings. The new buildings have taken the timelessness out of those rebels. William Penn is now dwarfed by several new banks and office buildings. It just isn't the same. It must be the reactionary in me. It just isn't the same.

We sat on a blanket on the lawn and ate our supper. We stayed while I chased lightning bugs. I came back with a few fireflies cupped in my hands. Finally, it was twilight. The transistor radios were being turned off. Conversations ceased. A hush penetrated the crowd. We waited. It wouldn't be long now.

Finally, a huge boom. The sound of the first rocket being launched. The sky behind Independence Hall exploded in a rainbow of sparks. I lay on the blanket looking at the sky as it filled with dancing sparks. A slight hint of gunpowder wafted across the Mall. I could imagine the MinuteMen careening onto the battlefield to secure America from the British. They would have fought bravely to secure their liberty. I can almost see Patrick Henry on the steps, belting out, "Give me liberty, or give me death!" for all to hear.

It is impossible to have fireworks in the city today. First, the Fire Marshall would never give his ok. Then there is the issue of being able to see. The tall buildings would obfuscate the view making it impossible to see. It is an entirely different place today.

I love fireworks, pareades, and the Fourth of July. The fireworks tonight remind me that i have not been here for some years to celebrate Independance Day. This year I will be flying into Bucharest at 12:30am and then heading to the train station for the seven hour night train to Gura Humorului. It should be an exciting trip this year. I want to see where I am going to spend the next year.

No comments: